Monday, February 11, 2013

Central Music Festival Flyer 2009


Since I am designing a music festival flyer I figured I would look at other music festival flyers, even if they aren't for the exact same type of music, I still wanted to see how others have designed their flyers for layout ideas.

What I really like about this flyer is that it is a very Swiss design idea, which I love the look of. I think everything works pretty alright, except for the blast of colorful random things coming out of the bottom corner. I don't think it works because it for one cuts off the words of the bands that are playing, and it is kind of pointless to list all those band names if they are just going to cover them up with graphics.

Also, it just doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the design, everything is very simple, elegant and neat, but that blast of color from that corner seems to have just been thrown in there after everything else was done to fill up some empty space. It just doesn't work at all, I like that they kept their color palette simple (except for the stupid blast of color) and the layout organization of all the text works really well I think, but once again the graphical element just doesn't fit. If this were for a typography class as mine is, everything else I think is good, their use of typography I think works pretty well, I like their variances in size, color, and bold usage as well as caps, but the graphics are what I have issues with.

I usually like colorful things on flyers and posters to catch your eye, but if they don't fit with the rest of the design at all, then they are hurting your design rather than enhancing it, especially when they are covering up important information. The Swiss design though is something that I was considering to use for my flyer simply because I love the look of it, but I'm just not sure if that is going to work with the type of music this festival focuses on, because Industrial/Electronic music seem to have an interesting type of design for their type of music.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment